You are here

Getting Started

When children cannot be cared for in the home with their parents, we ask the parents and child to identify their family and friends who are a support. A Family Finder maps out the family genogram and may arrange a Family Networking Meeting. You may also ask the child’s family to put your name forward as a potential kin support.

Once you decide you would like to provide care to the child/ren, a Kin Worker will contact you in order to complete a Kin Assessment. The Kin Worker will answer your questions and ask you for documentation.

Some points you may want to consider before you meet with the Kin Worker:

  • Your relationship to the child and where the child will live;
  • Who would take care of the child every day and where the child will go to school;
  • Where would the child would go to daycare or who the babysitter will be;
  • How long do you plan to care for the child how you could work with F&CS and support the parents?

The Kin Assessment:

To be sure that your home is a safe place for the child to be, a Kin Worker will meet with you. The worker will look at the safety of your home as well as your ability to meet the child's needs.

The Kinship Assessment includes a Home Safety Checklist and interviews. During the interviews, you will talk about things like: your relationship to the child and parents, the child's needs, your health and family history, any trouble with the law or problems keeping children safe in the past, your ability to add this child to your family and still give your family what they need.

Documents you will need:

Each person living in your home who is 18 years old or older must have two checks.

  1. Police Record Check for Service with the Vulnerable Sector Police Record Checks :: St. Thomas Police Service :: Consumer :: Home - This is a special check that is used when people want to work with children.
  2. Consent for Child Welfare Record Check - This enables the Kin Worker to check to see if you have been involved with a Children's Aid Society before in other areas where you have lived.