Offering to care for a child you know, who needs a safe home to live, is a generous gift. There are important things to consider when you make to when you make the decision to become a Kinship Service caregiver.
- Am I ready and willing to adjust my role in the child’s life and to be a “parent” to the child for as long as they need it?
- Will this change my relationship with the parents and child?
- How do I feel about the child’s parents? Can I facilitate family visits between the parents and their child?
- How will adding a child to my family impact my ability to meet my family’s needs?
- How will it impact me if there is a court case involving the child and parents?
- If the child cannot be reunified with their parent, would I consider legal custody or adoption?
When parents make the changes that are needed to keep their children safe and well cared for, we hope that you will continue to be a support to the family. The supportive and loving environment you provided for the child will be a lifelong gift to the child and family.